For residents living along Brunette Avenue, a loud bang just before 11 p.m. Tuesday appeared to be just a car crash.
An SUV had smashed through a bench at the corner of Brunette and Casey Street.
However, it was the final scene of a crime that has once again brought gang violence to the Tri-Cities.
The crash was the result of a shooting that took place just minutes earlier on Marathon Court, which ended the life of a 34-year-old man police believe was involved in gangs.
On Thursday, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team identified the victim as Joey Lamont Arrance.
Police said Arrance had a criminal record, but they wouldn't be providing any details about him.
Investigators also haven't confirmed where he lived.
The incident began Tuesday night after police and fire crews were called to the 1500 block of Thomas Avenue in the Maillardville area for a report of a vehicle fire.
Moments later, Coquitlam Mounties were called to a motor vehicle incident a few blocks away at the intersection of Casey and Brunette.
A resident living near the crash scene, who did not want to be identified, said she was just coming home when she saw two men providing CPR to the victim on the ground.
"It was a kinda shaky experience," the woman told the Tri-Cities NOW.
At the time, she didn't realize the scene was related to a shooting and assumed a drunk driver had been involved.
It wasn't until the next day that she heard the grim news.
"It's pretty scary," she said, adding it was lucky no one else was hurt.
Police said a witness stepped in to provide first aid until paramedics arrived, but the victim died in hospital.
Another resident living in the same building, who also didn't want to be identified out of concerns for gang violence, said she heard the crash and commotion that followed.
She too was surprised to learn the next day the crash was part of a gang shooting.
"This is a bit too close for comfort," she said.
IHIT investigators believe the car fire and shooting are related, but are still trying to piece together all the events.
Eleanor Bonin lives near the corner of Schoolhouse Street and Brunette and said she had just finished watching America's Got Talent at 11 o'clock when she heard police and ambulance sirens.
She never looked out her window to see what was going on, but recalled hearing a fair number of sirens.
Bonin said she's lived in the area for the last year, describing the neighbourhood as quiet.
"It's terrible," she said. "Why are they shooting everybody?" The Tri-Cities NOW spoke to several residents at all three crime scenes, who either didn't want to talk because of the gang aspect to the crime, or didn't hear or see anything at the time of the incidents.
Investigators were out Wednesday canvassing the neighbourhood looking for witnesses. IHIT is also asking anyone with information to come forward and call its tip line at 1-877-551-4448.
According to the Prince George Citizen, police had identified Arrance as a junior member or "striker" with the Renegades Motorcycle Club, an affiliate of the Hells Angels and Game Tight Soldiers organized crime groups, and a tattoo parlour he allegedly owned was gutted in a November 2010 fire.
Less than 24 hours later, a fire broke out in the home he was living in and one person, a wheelchair-bound Linda Joyce Fredin, was killed. Police treated both fires as suspicious but no one has since been charged.
Arrance, who had remained in custody since his arrest in September 2010, eventually pleaded guilty to a firearms-related charge after a police raid of the home that same month uncovered a loaded handgun, a dummy grenade and a soft-armoured vest.
In May 2012, he was sentenced to a further three-and-a-half months in jail and then banned from coming within 100 kilometres of Prince George for a further 18 months.
Arrance also faced a charge of sexually assaulting a woman at the Renegades clubhouse in July 2010. In November 2011, he was found not guilty of the offence following a trial before a provincial court judge.
And the B.C. Director of Civil Forfeiture has been trying to seize nearly $220,000 worth of jewelry and cash from Arrance said to have been accumulated as proceeds of crime. An attempt to serve Arrance with an order in June at an East Vancouver address was unsuccessful and the matter remained before the court.
According to the director, Arrance continued to run a drug trafficking scheme from the Prince George Regional Correctional Centre during the time he was in custody there, noting he made 671 phone calls from the location.
This is not the first time gunfire has erupted in the Tri-Cities in recent years.
Port Moody was the scene of three gangrelated shootings in a four-month span last year.
Just after sundown on May 30, 2012, noted gangster Gurbinder Toor was gunned down in the parking lot of the Port Moody Recreation Complex as he got out of his car on the way to a ball hockey game.
Less than a month later in June, another gangster, Randy Naicker, was fatally shot near his truck at the corner of St. Johns and Queens streets during rush hour.
Naicker was the founder of the Independent Soldiers gang.
In September, Joseph Markel of Port Moody was gunned down at his home in the Glenayre neighbourhood in the middle of a Saturday morning.
All three shootings remain unsolved. Tuesday night's incident is also the third homicide in Coquitlam in 2013.
Back in May, the body of a 44-year-old Maple Ridge man was discovered in Colony Farm Regional Park.
That murder remains unsolved. In July, IHIT was called in to investigate a house fire on Cottonwood Avenue after two people died inside the home. Investigators concluded the incident was a murder suicide.
© Copyright 2013