COQUITLAM — It was an explosive situation for one unfortunate Porta-Potty in Coquitlam Wednesday night.
Police and fire crews were called out to a construction site near Kingston Street and Galloway Avenue around 11 p.m. to a report of a portable toilet on fire.
A passerby, who heard a loud noise and saw smoke coming from the toilet, flagged down a Coquitlam Mountie patrolling in the area.
Fire crews arrived on scene and quickly put out the blaze.
Police are treating the fire as suspicious, suggesting it could have been set off inside by fireworks.
“We did a neighbourhood inquiry, but we weren’t able to find anyone who saw anything,” said RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung, adding the toilet was presumably destroyed.
“Those things are made of plastic, and plastic and fire don’t mix.”
Chung also noted police usually see more incidents involving fireworks around Halloween.
Coquitlam RCMP are appealing for anyone with information to call the detachment at 604-945-1580 and quote file 2013-6814.