A prolific offender was arrested last week for a handful of alleged crimes
that took place less than a month after his last runin with Coquitlam RCMP. Christopher Fogale, 32, was arrested on Aug. 6 and faces charges of theft, possession of stolen property and trespass at night.
The PoCo resident was initially convicted of a series of crimes in May, including: possession of break-in instrument; possession of a controlled substance; possession of
stolen property; prowling at night and theft.
Fogale was released from custody after serving time on July 9, less than a month before his Aug. 6 arrest.
"When we noticed a recent increase in theft from vehicles, we suspected Christopher Fogale was likely to be the culprit," said Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung in a news release. "By having our crime analysts working together with [Prolific Target Team] investigators, we knew where to find Mr. Fogale. This led PTT investigators to arrest him on Aug. 6 near Westwood Street and Lougheed Highway in Port Coquitlam."
Coquitlam RCMP also took another alleged prolific offender off the streets in late July.
Mohammed Ansari, 33, of Coquitlam was arrested July 30 after a brief chase near Lincoln Avenue and Pinetree Way.
Police were responding to reports of a vehicle break-in, and Ansari reportedly tried to flee the scene on foot. He faces charges of mischief, theft and breach of a recognizance condition.
"With both prolific offenders in jail, theft from vehicles will probably go down. However, everyone should still do their part to reduce crime by not leaving any valuables in their vehicles and by securing their windows and doors," Chung said.
A brazen series of alleged cellphone robberies in both Coquitlam and PoCo has led Coquitlam RCMP to issue an advisory around robbery prevention and safety.
All three incidents took place late in the evening of Aug. 2 and in the early morning hours of Aug. 3. Each alleged theft involved three males approaching their victims, though Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung stopped short of confirming a link between the incidents.
"The descriptions in some of the robberies are sketchy because it happened so fast, it was dark out and people were scared. But the similarities are striking," he said. The first incident took place around 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 2 near Purcell Drive and Dayanee Springs Boulevard. Three suspects robbed a victim of his iPhone and other personal belongings before fleeing in an older model, blue two-door Honda.
The second robbery happened at about 11 p.m., near Prairie Avenue and Skeena Street in PoCo.
Three suspects were again involved, and demanded cellphones from two victims. The suspects ran off, however, when bystanders tried to intervene.
No location was given for the third incident, though Mounties said it took place shortly after midnight on Aug. 3. Three victims were approached, and the thieves made off with Blackberrys from two of them.
The suspects are described as males of Middle Eastern decent in their late teens to early 20s, between 5'7" and six-feet tall. One is described as having a muscular build.
"Luckily, no one was hurt in the robberies. There are definitely similarities in the suspects' descriptions and how the three robberies were carried out. Our Robbery Section investigators have taken over the investigation. We urge anyone with information related to the robberies to contact us," Chung said.
The Robbery Section can be reached at 604-945-1550.
For tips on how to prevent, or react to, a robbery situation, log on to http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage. action?siteNodeId=307&lan guageId=1&contentId=-1
© Copyright 2013