COQUITLAM - It's official: Coquitlam's Brittany Rogers is Britain bound.
The 19-year-old gymnast was named to the Canadian women's Olympic team on Thursday, following a tremendous performance at this week's Olympic trials in Gatineau, Que. that put her in the top three.
Upon conclusion of the meet, Rogers joined Kristina Vaculik and Victoria Moors among the first three to be selected for the 2012 Summer Games in London. Dominique Pegg and Ellie Black were announced late Thursday as the fourth and fifth athletes to fill out the roster.
Thursday's final events provided another big points tally for the five-foot-three dynamo. Rogers registered the second-best score on bars, trailing first-place Kristina Vaculik 14.4 to 14.3. On the balance beam she posted the fourth-best number, and finished eighth on floor.
At the end of the competition, Rogers tweeted: "Oh my goodness what a week. Thank you everyone for all of your support!! Blessed to be here and walk away healthy!"
On the opening day, Rogers made major headway in her pursuit of the berth. Behind first-place results in both uneven bars and vault, Rogers registered the third-best score among competitors as she vied with 10 other women for the five women's team spots.
The trial marks contributed 60 per cent towards the score needed to qualify, with the remaining 40 per cent coming from the Canadian nationals. Rogers finished tied for sixth spot at the nationals.
A spot on the Olympic team has been years in the making for the former Omega Gymnastics club member, who now trains in North Vancouver at Flicka.
She had competed at a number of international meets prior to fracturing her right ankle at the Pacific Rim championships in April 2010, where she helped Canada place fourth.
Her rehab was slowed when it was discovered the bone wasn't healing properly, and required surgery in November of 2010.
Upon receiving medical clearance, she began the long process of rebuilding her strength and confidence to continue pursuing her Olympic dream.
In 2011, she placed fourth all-around at the Canadian championships, then was the lone Canadian to score a medal - silver on vault - and qualified in all four events at the Artistic Gymnastics World Cup in Croatia.
She was also a member of the national team that earned Canada its berth for the Olympics at the London Prepares series in January.
Earlier in the year, she was named Sport B.C.'s Harry Jerome Comeback Athlete of the Year.
© Copyright 2013